- TV (except for Dollhouse, but hey, it's Joss Whedon, which is practically research)
- A 'Real Simple' magazine house (heh, like that was ever an option)
- Entire weekends of nothing but reading (yeah, this one hurts)
- Non-writing friends
- An honest career with financial security (sorry, Mom and Dad!)
I'm not saying everybody has to make these choices, but you'll have to make some. Don't kid yourself; the time to write is carved bloodily from the tender flesh of your life. And yeah, that's gonna leave marks.
- Great writing friends
- A deeper understanding of who I am (yeah, this one hurts)
- A book deal!!! (er, financial security still not included -- sorry, Mom and Dad!)
Do you want it or not?
If not, that's fine. I'd love to play piano, but I just don't want it bad enough to -- you know -- practice. I'd love to be a vegetarian, but then there's bacon. Writing, though... That I want, and I choose it again every time I sit down in front of the computer and put my hands on the keyboard.
I'm probably biased, but I believe it's fine to be a circus freak.
*Metaphorically, speaking, of course.
**Surgeon General's warning: The lead-based paint holding together old patterns may be hazardous to your health.
***Life-altering decisions should be made for entertainment only, not investment purposes.