Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Coming home

Delle Jacobs

Currently working on FAERIE, after leaving it for a week.

Mood: Really, really tired

I'm sitting in the Sn Diego airport, accessing free wireless, and will be on m,y way hpome at last in a little less than an hour. I didn't go to conference, per se. I went to the BEau Monde conference on Wednesday, and left on Thursday afternoon after seeing several friends. Then * flew to San Diego to visit two of my brothers and families. That's a story in and of itself, and I'll let you in on it when I blog later n the month at the Wet Noodle Posse on People as Inspiration.

The Beau Monde is one of the major highlights of conference for me. It's a real treat to see people I don't actually know even though we've corresponded for years. But more than that, we share a common interest in our genre, the Regency Historical Romance. Sometimes we take things to extremes, but even those who don't go the full distance have a strong interest in history and getting the details right to maske our stories vividly believable.

I was the coordinator for the Beau Monde contest, the Royal ascot, this year. And this is the point at which I announce the winners and give out the awards. This year we had a winner come all the way from Australia. The workshops are always interesting, and this year een more so because we combined with the Hearts Through History chapter, and brought in re-enactors and experts in all periods.

I had intended to see Medieval workshops but ended up in Arms & Armour and Roman Hand-to-Hand Combat. (Missed morning workshops because I was helping coordinate the silent auction.) I enjoyed the armor exhibit, although the fellow presenting seemed to be at a loss for descriptive words most of the time. He had some authentic, restored pieces of armor from several centuries .

Ooops, gotta go. They're calling my fl;ght. I'll finish this after I get home.

Delle

2 comments:

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hi, Delle!

Glad you enjoyed your trip. I enjoy reenactments, though I don't write historicals. I'm amazed at the detailed planning that goes into making these.

And what fun -- though exhausting -- to coordinate a contest. It's humbling to be entrusted with a manuscript that a writer has worked so hard on.

Hope your flight back was a good one!

Anonymous said...

I've heard so many wonderful things about the Beau Monde, I can see why it was your priority. You are such a wonderful person, Delle. You help with so many contests and truly give back to RWA and other writers. I hope your flight was wonderful.